There are three aptitudes in Arcanum:
- Neutral Aptitude - 0 means that character is neither a mage or technologist.
- Magical Aptitude - means that character can get ( greater ) bonuses from magical objects or spells (more HP from healing, but more damage from magic as well)
- Technical Aptitude - opposite to magical. Character doesn't get bonuses from magical objects, spells don't affect character properly (less HP from heal/damage magic).
Technical or Magical? How to adjust aptitude? Edit
- Putting character points into magic spells raises your magical aptitude/lowers your technological aptitude.
- Putting character points into technological disciplines does the opposite.
The Dark Helm will change the character aptitude by 10 towards magical PERMANENTLY (alignment will be adjusted by -10 towards EVIL as well). Removing and putting helmet again will stack up.
Magical aptitude > 50 Edit
- Technical shops (inventors) won't sell to characters.
- Character can't use trains.
Technical aptitude > 50 Edit
- Magical shops will not sell to character.
- TA above 95% (?) - character can't cast spells (Teleportation will not work etc.)
Neutral aptitude (0)Edit
Character is moderately affected by spells and technology
Scenery influence aptitudeEdit